We all have dreams and things we want to achieve in life. I have heard so many times, “One day, I will do it.” Why not now? What are you waiting for? It would be best if you broke it down into achievable goals. You can do everything, just not all at the same time.
1. Turn your Dreams into Plans.
Write them down, put up post-it notes, talk about them. Change your outlook and mindset to:
- I am going to…
- I will go to…
- I can save enough to do…
From: One day I will save enough money to get to Thailand
To: I am going to Thailand this year, and this is how I will do it…
From: I hate my job, one day I will quit and get a job I enjoy
To: I will get a job I love this year, and this is how I will do it…
From: I wish I could save enough for a house deposit
To: I can save for my house deposit this year, and this is how I will do it.
2. Surround yourself with people and inspiration to help you achieve your plans.
It's hard to plan your dreams if you are around negative people, you will subconsciously feed off this and won't have the drive or motivation to want to move forward. If you can't change who you are around, try to get 30mins a day to yourself, use this time to recharge, and be inspired. Listen to podcasts, have 2/3 mantras that you repeat during the day. Put some alerts on your phone calendar, join like-minded groups online or even better a personal mentor or coach to keep you motivated.
A healthy body creates a healthy mindset. I'm not saying go and sign up to a marathon or even a years gym membership, but you do need to exercise your body to help your mindset, whether its yoga, walking upstairs to work or playing a sport, every part helps.
4. Be realistic.
To achieve your dreams, you need to be realistic about what is achievable. If you want to be the CEO of Apple, fantastic, go for it! But if you're going to be CEO of Apple in 6 months and you just graduated from University, that is not a realistic goal. Set goals that are realistic to where you are now keeping your big dream in mind to motivate you!
5. Create your dream stepping stones.
Thinking big is great! And you should! But it would be best if you had achievable goals to gain a sense of achievement and move forward, which motivates you.
- If you are going to look for a new job, start by updating your CV and online portfolios (check out my personal branding checklist) so when you do apply its all ready to go.
- If you are saving for a goal start by making an expense budget of outgoings versus incoming and see where you can make cutbacks, every bit counts, maybe only buy your lunch twice a week instead of every day or budget less to spend on lunch.
- If your dream is to quit working and run your own business. Or you are a caregiver at home, and you want to earn money building your own company, start to brand yourself and building an online presence, listen to podcasts and get advice, there are many free online materials available out there.
I hope this has been helpful, it is a guide to start you off! You can do it, and every small step takes you one step closer to achieving your dreams.
I am available for personal mentoring and coaching on request.
Check out my Instagram feed to keep you inspired :)